We have a somewhat unique layout in our current house. You walk in the front door and immediately to the right is a formal living room and to the left a formal dining room. What's unique, at least to me, is that you walk through formal living room to get to a 10 x 13 office. When we saw the space, we knew that the formal living room would = Lauren's new room and the office would = Lauren's closet. These immediate needs were some of the first projects we tackled in the house:
1. Close in the 60 inch open walkway from the foyer into the living room into to a single doorframe size.
2. Demo the old office bookshelves and create hanging closet space and shelf space
3. Build a sliding barn door for Lauren's new room
We have checked off all of these "needs" for the space and are beginning to trickle into the "wants":
1. Wanted: A cool hanging swing chair
2. Wanted: Change the current glass door leading into the closet into a "secret door"
We've checked off the swinging chair and while I think this secret door is a fun idea, I'm not sure it ranks very high on the current priority list, especially when we are still finishing up the kitchen space. Nevertheless, we had a little fun dreaming about secret doors and bookshelves this week. Here are some secret door inspiration photos:
Source: Amanda Orr Architects
Source: Minosa Design
I would love to hear from you if you know anyone with a secret door or secret room in his or her house!- Jenn